Lady Gaga Reveals Past Bulimia And Urges Girls To End ‘Diet Wars’

Taken from here.



Lady Gaga revealed her past struggles with bulimia at the “It’s Our Turn” young women’s conference at the Brentwood School, where she turned up as a surprise guest for an interview with Maria Shriver. The singer’s body is constantly the subject of articles about crazy diets (remember her drunk diet?) and workouts (just today, FitSugar posted about how to get her “shapely booty”), but it seems that now, she’d rather help girls overcome eating disorders like the one she suffered as a teen.

During her interview, Gaga (whose real name is Stefani Germanotta) said that her bulimia developed out of a desire to be thin:

I used to throw up all the time in high school. So I’m not that confident. And maybe it’s easier for me to talk about it now because I don’t do it anymore. I wanted to be a skinny little ballerina but I was a voluptuous little Italian girl whose dad had meatballs on the table every night. I used to come home and say, ‘Dad, why do you always give us this food? I need to be thin.’ And he’d say, ‘Eat your spaghetti.’

She also argued for awareness of how distorted beauty standards have become, urging girls not to compare themselves to media images of women:

Weight is still a struggle. Every video I’m in, every magazine cover, they stretch you – they make you perfect. It’s not real life.

I’m gonna say this about girls: The dieting wars have got to stop. Everyone just knock it off. Because at the end of the day, it’s affecting kids your age. And it’s making girls sick.
Her advice may be easier said than done, but we’re happy to hear the singer stand up for women’s body image, in addition to LGBTQ kids and bullying.


Related posts:


Post from: Blisstree

0 comments:

Find Past Posts