Bethenny Frankel Says You Need A Personal Mission Statement For Your Career

Taken from here.


Entrepreneur Bethenny Frankel recently wrote in her monthly column for Glamour Magazine about why women need to have personal mission statements for their careers. According to Bethenny, it will help you “make chicken salad out of chickensh*t.” Way before Skinnygirl Margaritas took off, Bethenny was an aspiring entrepreneur and contestant on The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. Though she was very disappointed when she lost she said it helped her realize she needed to define her future. “I told myself, You are destined for something special. But no one can do it for you, and no one can save you. You have to save yourself. This became my mission statement, and it meant that whether I was hawking pashminas and trying to be an actress or managing a failing health-food restaurant and testing recipes on the side, I was sticking to my mission to support myself on my terms. I was on track.”

Bethenny believes that a mission statement gives your career a sense of order and structure. She advises everyone to come up with one now and write it on a piece of paper. “Then when your job feels like a dead end, you’ll know it’s just a bump. Or if some guy breaks your heart, your mission-having a supportive partner and father for your kids-will remind you that you had been barking up the wrong tree anyway, Set a solid course for yourself,” she wrote.

Obviously, Bethenny’s personal mission statement paid off as she sold Skinnygirl to Fortune Brands for $8.1 million and she is rapidly turning her business into an empire. In addition to her career as a best-selling writer she is branching out into skin, clothing and health products. Plus, Skinnygirl is the number one fastest growing spirits brand in the U.S. In an earlier interview on the personal mission statement she said: “As an entrepreneur, it’s important to identify your priorities and what you hope to accomplish with your business. Try to frame your statement in terms of action, and you’ll find it helps to focus you in a very powerful way. For me, my business evolved from my own personal beliefs about eating well, promoting natural health, being fit, and solving problems,” said Frankel.

Here are some more of Bethenny’s tips:

  1. Remain true to your brand: “Any product that I add to the Skinnygirl line has to be innovative, solve a problem for women, and help them to live healthier, better lives. My line is straightforward, honest, and doesn’t make false promises. I’ve turned down a multitude of product ideas from headbands to diet pills.” Frankel said if she doesn’t think she could use a product herself, then she won’t make it a part of her brand.

  2. Don’t let setbacks derail you. Frankel got a whole lot more no’s then yes’s when she first pitched her Skinnygirl idea. Rather than admit defeat, she decided to make and distribute the drink herself. “I’m not a liquor expert. I’m just a woman who enjoyed margaritas and was bothered by the drink’s 700-calorie count. I firmly believed there was a market for a ready-made low-calorie margarita that offered women flavor without the guilt.”

  3. Make your social media presence a priority. This one is a bit of a no brainer. Social media does rule the world now and it can be very helpful for businesses. “I give daily updates on new product launches, personal appearances, and what’s new in my life, and see social media as a wonderful way to obtain feedback from my fans. I currently have over 582,000 Twitter followers, and 690,350 Facebook followers. My newsletter, website, Twitter and Facebook followers are engaged audiences who know me intimately.”


Related posts:


Post from: TheGrindstone

0 comments:

Find Past Posts